This is the start of the roughing of the tool for the hatch cover.
This is the the surface after the roughing passes have been done.
The tool is finished and waxed. I machined the trim line into this mold so I could obtain a tight match on the fitment of the cover. Also I can use it to line up my core during the layup.
This is how I trimmed the core. Because I machined the trim line into the mold I could use it to guide the dividers to scribe the core for an accurate size.
Here is a shot of the door after layup and cure. The core is only 0.125, you can see where I doubled it for where the hinges will bond in.
I cut the hinges out of some G10 that I had. They could have been a little thicker but they only need to support the door when it is in the open position. I will use 1/4 turn fasteners to latch the door.
I temporarily tack glued everything in so I could check the geometry of the hinges. I wanted to make sure everything was working before I permanently glass them in.
Everything looks good. It all lines up with a tight fit. I like it when you have to sand a little off to make it fit rather than add some on 🙂
Here is a shot of the hinge bits glassed.
I turned some bushings on the lathe for the pivot points on the hinges.
I pressed and bonded them into the glass.
I did the same for the other half of the hinge.
Here is everything bolted in.