Elevators 2

I usually scan my prior post to check what I have already covered, correct a few spelling mistakes and generally see if I made any mistakes. Well!!! I just noticed that I titled the last post ailerons and even referred to the parts as for the ailerons. That makes me a dumb ass šŸ˜¦ I do know that I am building the elevators I’m not sure where that brain fart came from.

Featured image

Now on to theĀ Elevators. I used some CA to glue some scotch brite onto a dowel. I use this to clean the inside of the tubes.

Featured image

I roll it up and stick it in the tube.

Featured image

I use a drill to spin it while I slide it back and forth. I have used the same technique with sand paper and it works well.

Featured image

Next was to alodine the tubes. I was going to use some abs pipe and cap the ends and use that to hold the acid etch and alodine but decided to do plating in a bag. I cut two poly bags from the shipping department.

Featured image

I heat sealed the ends.

Featured image

I filled the bags with about a liter of acid etch and sloshed it around.

Featured image

After I rinsed the tubes I repeated the process in the second bag with alodine. I did one tube at a time. I kept turning the tube until it was golden brown. It doesn’t give you the same result as suspending a part in the alodine but the results are more than acceptable.

Featured image

Next was the hinge inserts. I’m not sure why I had a mixing stick in there.

Featured image

I prepped everything that I was going to need. This might be the first time ever that I remembered everything.

Featured image

I used some wax to coat the inside of the hinge pin holes. I wanted some protection in there but wasn’t going to use grease or vaseline. The chance of cross contaminating something is too great.

Featured image

I had to reassemble theĀ hinge inserts to make sure I had the right ones. They got mixed up when I was alodining them. The holes for the rivets are all in a slightly different spot and I wanted to make sure I had it right.

Featured image

I decided that I was going to wet install the hinge inserts. This adhesive is also used as a liquid shim. So if there was any irregularities between the hinge inserts and the tubes this will take care of them. Also, it eliminates the chance of corrosion from moisture getting between the inserts and the tube.

Featured image

I applied a light coat inside the tube. You want enough so you get a little bit of squeeze out but not so much that it can run down into the holes for the hinge pin.

Featured image

I also applied a light coat to the hinge insert. Any time you bond something always apply adhesive to both surfaces.

Featured image

I wet installed the rivet as well. Just a dab will do ya.

Featured image

I installed the rivets and also checking alignment at the same time.

Featured image

IĀ applied slurry toĀ the cores and brushed some resin on to the tubes. I had done a dry test fit of the tubes into the cores and mine fit quite nice. They slid in with a little bit of friction and were held snug in place.

Featured image

Here they are with the tubes bonded and weighted to the table to cure.

, , , , , , , , , , ,

  1. #1 by Mark on October 16, 2015 - 4:49 am

    Great post. Loved the etching / alodine bagging process. Mixing stick. ….. Just a habit šŸ˜‰

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

the Garaggio

Projects from Joe's Workshop

%d bloggers like this: