Posts Tagged eureka cnc
I know this is out of order from the plans but I was trying to get the most out of cure times. I bonded on the tip cores with some micro.
Using the elevators as guides I laid out the cut lines for the relief in the canard where the counter balance sits.
The canard skin is cut and the core is removed.
I made the cutout just big enough to fit the counter weights in. I then layed out the set back for clearance and sanded the opening to the final size.
The cutout was then glassed with one layer of Bid.
Using the template I drew a line marking the curve of the canard tip.
I had also cut out the profile template which is the same size as what www.eurekacnc.com provides with the exception of being a little longer.
I used the template to contour the front radius of the core.
I used a knife to remove some of the foam but not knowing exactly how everything was going to turn out I was a little cautious with that technique. I then turned to sand paper to do the rest.
Here is the tip close to the finished shape.
Here is the my rendition of what a tip looks like. This is now ready to be glassed.
I used the two layers of Uni to glass the tips.
I chose to peel ply the entire tip.
Now it is on the the bottom side of the tips. I used a strip of tape to provide a buffer zone in my sanding. It gives you a little room to play with when you are trying to keep the curve tangent to the bottom of the canard.
Here is a pic of the tip almost finished with its contour.
This is the finished shape of the tip.
I sanded back the core to expose the top glass so that the edges will gave a glass to glass bond.
Here is a pick of the two layers of Uni on the underside of the tip.
I put on some micro and peel plied the tip. I am Leary of putting on micro over a lay up while it is still wet. I like to be able to look at the lay up to be sure no voids are present. This is the first time that I have done this on what I have built for my long-ez and I don’t think I will do it again. It is only my own personal preference and in no way discrediting the plans.
The tips have been all trimmed up. I installed the elevators and set the gap between them and the tip.
Here is the bottom side of the tip with the micro sanded smooth.
The next step is to glass the inside face of the canard tip. I prepared the core for a flox corner.
Because I recessed the core on the end of the canard I had clearance to be able to carry the glass all the way around from the inside face onto the canard. The plans call for one layer of Bid to protect the core.
Here is the lay up finished with peel ply.
During my filling and fairing I rounded the corners of my elevators by not being cautious enough while sanding. So they needed a little love to bring them back to acceptable. The tip of the canard was from not having good contact with the bottom side glass onto the top glass. I sanded back any fill to expose glass so I could build up the tips.
I used Bid and put one layer on the bottom and two on the top. This will give me enough to make the corners square again.
On the tip of the canard it got two layers of Bid to build it up.
After the tip of the canard was cured I trimmed it and applied micro to both sides.