Now it is time for the top side. I trimmed the bottom layup and sanded the leading edge. I sanded just up to the core on the trailing edge and it turned out quite straight.
Next I bonded on aluminum tubing using bondo. I used the aluminum extrusion to apply pressure and hold the tube in place until the bondo set.
I used the router to cut the supports for the canard. It is nice to be able to cut multiples of a shape and have them all come out exactly the same.
The supports are evenly spaced and bonded to the canard and the aluminum tube using bondo.
I then released the canard from the jigs it was currently bonded to and flipped it over. Here it is trying out its new legs.
I used a hacksaw blade to rough cut the foam. I used a die grinder to sand the higher density foam. It made short work of it. Also, I did clean all the micro off that I got on the shear web.
Here is a pic of it sanded down. I will sand the final amount by hand.
Here is a pic of the edge all cleaned up.
Pre bonding in the higher density foam worked out well.
I used post-it notes for shimming the canard for glassing the top. You just peel of a few and cut off a strip. Then you just peel off or add layers to get the right height.
Just like so.
The canard is leveled.
The canard is prepped and ready for it’s spar cap.
The spar cap it much thicker on the top. I used the same technique as the bottom except there were more full lengths before I started shortening the lengths.
The spar cap is done. Now on the the four plies that make up the top skin.
All the top plies are done. I will let it sit for a couple days to cure.