Elevators part 6

Featured image

I moved on to adding the mass balance weights to the elevators. I read over the instructions and that is when I noticed that I screwed up. I had recessed the core on the elevators where the glass build up ends up leaving a bump. I have also read that some have had it impede the travel of their elevators. My elevators wouldn’t be affected by these issues except for the fact that I put the recess in the wrong spot 😦 The directions say to use original canard directions to install the counter weights and I must have taken that to mean the location also. I should have been more careful. Now, this doesn’t mean that there is anything wrong with the elevators themselves only that I will have a little shallow to fill. You can see in the pic where the weights are supposed to be.

Featured image

The fill and primer was sanded off the elevator and I shaped the core. Using the jig the weight is positioned.

Featured image

Everything was bonded together using fifteen minute epoxy and a little flox. I used weights and some squares to keep everything aligned while the epoxy cured.

Featured image

Using two layers of Uni the counter weights are glassed to the elevators.

Featured image

I also added one layer of Bid to the sides. I didn’t like the idea of only coating the core with resin.

, , , , ,

  1. Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

the Garaggio

Projects from Joe's Workshop

%d bloggers like this: